POPULATION CENSUSES OF THE CITY OF KYRENIA, 1878-1973
The first scientific and systematic census of the population of Cyprus was carried out on April 4, 1881. However, an unofficial population census was carried out in 1878 by the British commanders. After that and every ten years, five more censuses followed, which were carried out in 1891, 1901, 1911, 1921 and in 1931. The census of 1941 coincided with WWII and for this reason it was carried out in 1946, while the last census to be carried out under British supervision was the census of December 11, 1960.
Due to the bi-communal unrest of 1963-1964 and 1967, the census that was supposed to be carried out in 1970 was conducted in 1973. The Turkish Cypriots refused to participate in this and as a result the data submitted by the statistical service on them are merely a scientific estimate. Despite any mistakes and omissions, our censuses allow us to study not only the population growth of the city, but also its economic development which is done on a more scientific basis.
POPULATION OF THE GREATER VICINITY OF KYRENIA
The villages which constitute the greater vicinity of the city of Kyrenia are Thermia, Karakoumi, Kazafani, Bellapais, Agios Epiktitos and Agios Amvrosios towards the east, while located in the west are Agios Georgios, Templos, Trimithi and Karmi. Until July 1974, when the lawful Greek Cypriot residents of the area were forced by the Turkish troops to abandon it, the Turkish Cypriots outnumbered the Greek Cypriots only in the villages of Kazafani and Templos.